Monday, October 01, 2007

Pittsburgh Great Race Sunday 30 September 2007


Running for Joe
Originally uploaded by LugerLA
Another running of the Great Race, the capstone race in the Pittsburgh season now that the marathon is no longer being run. This will be my third running (and I arrived in Pittsburgh a year too late to run the marathon). The biggest difference, I only ran the 5K instead of the 10K.

S, A and I took the bus from downtown to Oakland at the starting line on Fifth amidst the University of Pittsburgh and the behemoth of UPMC. Some highlights:

The Pitt Men's Glee Club singing the national anthem, straight up. Just the way I like it. You can play with "God Bless America" all you want, but the "Star Spangled Banner" is impressive by itself.

Mayor Luke greeted the runners, noting that his wife was running the race. Now, while I'm glad he made it out there, and I hope he enjoyed it, the one thought: Wuss! Your wife is running a biggest race in Pittsburgh and your not! Whose the man here!? Ah, the days when Murphy would greet the runners and then get in the starting area with the rest of us.

There were a few new sponsors (Someone from KDKA got to speak). I hope they got a good show. I heard a rumor of the return of the Pittsburgh Marathon, and happy sponsors would be a good step in that direction.

It is fun seeing the city again. Running through Oakland. Along the Mon. Past Duquense with the rump band and cheerleaders. And flying down the ramp onto Boulevard of the Allies to the end. Oh, and the usual Eat 'n Park Smiley cookie.

And all three of us had our "Running for Joe" shirts. Had to wear something, right?

1 comment:

Joe.Karen said...

yay!!!!!! thanks guys. how awesome.